Posted on April 14, 2020
The world is going through some unprecedented times at the moment; waves of uncertainty, worry and stress flood our minds- being stuck at home doesn't help either.
But as the old saying goes, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade! Here are a few things you can do to keep boredom at bay and your mind productive:
1. Learn A New Skill
There are a plethora of resources out there that are now offering their short courses for free; so why not maximise your self isolation with a little bit of self improvement?
Here are some that we found:
- LinkedIn Learning: the platform is now offering a free month trial of their online education subscription where you can learn key skills from industry professionals. Each class goes for 2 hours each and ranges from topics like administration, graphic design or general self improvement.
- Coursera: Wish you could code? Well now is your time to shine! Coursera is opening up their platform free of charge to anyone interested in picking up a thing or two about coding!
2. Read ( or Listen to ) a Book!
There's no time like now to bury yourself in a mountain of books- or listen to them; whatever suits your fancy! Places like Audible and Gutenberg are now offering free ebooks to read and listen to. Dive into your favourite novel without leaving the comforts of your own home!
3. Virtual Travel
10 Years ago, virtual travel would be virtually impossible. But with advances in technology we are now able to visit our favourite museums and exhibitions without actually stepping out of the house! Here are some places offering the virtual experience:
- State Library of Victoria: one of Melbourne's must-see places is now offering a 3D experience!
- Museum at Home: some of Melbourne's iconic museums like Scienceworks, Immigration Museum and NGV are now offering virtual experiences!
It's a scary time for us all but it can also be a time for self-reflecting, of reconnection and of self-improvement; Lemons into lemonades!